Clicking through my emails I came across one from a few hours ago, it asked if anyone wanted to paint the Corvus Blackstar for the blog. To my dismay, James from my team had already snapped up the chance. As he put the model together over the following days it became clear it was one of the most enticing models Games Workshop has produced. Consequently I asked if I could have the model and paint it, however the request was understandably refused.
During the week another email landed in my inbox which offered the same model if it could be painted over the weekend, as James had been too busy to paint it. This time I made sure not to dilly-dally and procured the coveted Corvus Blackstar.
This gave me only two and a half days to finish the model, so I decided to get started without delay. The main colour scheme would be black, so I thought it was reasonable to begin with a black base coat using Chaos Black spray.
During my lunch hour I asked for John to accompany me to a studio since my previous experience with spray painted was less than optimal. It turns out that the secret is to use short controlled bursts, keep a good distance and apply many thin even layers.
I used masking tape to create straight lines on the wings.
I picked out the detailed engraving using Shade paints.
At the studio I had the fortune of meeting Geoff, who showed me a dazzling example of a Corvus Blackstar he had painted. He had painted a livery that was composed of parallel lines that inspired me to try something similar. The technique Geoff used involved using a ruler to draw lines and then paint inside them, however without confidence in my painting skill I decided to use masking tape. I quickly learnt that the edges of the masking tape should be pressed down to prevent paint from seeping underneath!
The part I savoured the most was painting the panels with writing engraved in them. This gave me a sense of fulfilment on a par with the enjoyment a younger me would get when I used a crayon and paper to rub over a texture and see the intricate pattern appear. The paints I used for these parts was a base coat of Leadbelcher and a wash of Nuln Oil, I highlighted the edges with Ironbreaker but decided not to go over the writing with it as I found it clogged up the detail. For the gold panels with the skulls on the front I used the same technique but with Retributor Armour and Balthasar Gold.
With the model being primarily black I decided to dry brush it with Administratum Grey, a skill I learnt when painting my Stormsurge which I wrote about in a previous blog post. This helped bring out the detail by highlighting the edges and gave it a slightly worn look.
This is my favourite Games Workshop flyer so far, partially influenced by my passion for an online space-themed game, but also its sleek look, fine detail and the room for custom liveries. I do feel sorry for James now, I reckon I will challenge him to a game of Stormcloud Attack to decide who keeps it.
Powered by WPeMatico